One of the great privileges we have in Christ is prayer. We are given the joy of talking with our Creator. This joy and privilege extends to others as we participate in God’s work in them by praying for them. Here are some ideas for praying for your spouse (or other parent) in regard to the parenting role. Adapt these according to the gender and situation.
- Thanksgiving for your spouse, given to you by the Lord. Thanksgiving for what God is doing in and through your spouse.
- For personal submission to the Holy Spirit so that he/she exercises love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, by the power of the Holy Spirit, so that he/she will be a godly parent able to obey God’s Word and effectively love the child even in the most severe temptations (Gal. 5:16, 22-24).
- That he/she would not do anything that provokes your child to anger (Eph. 6:4).
- That he/she would effectively bring up your child in the loving discipline/training of the Lord, being faithful at it when tempted to not follow through. (Eph. 6:4)
- That he/she would have God’s wisdom from His Word (Jas. 1:5)
- That he/she would be diligent about studying to rightly understand and apply God’s Word so that the discipline and instruction will be that of the Lord (2 Tim. 2:15)
May the Lord be glorified in how you pray for your family.